Monday, February 5, 2007

"B" is for...

BUDGET! Yes, folks, that is my big news... Our family started living on a budget as of Thursday, February 1, 2007. We've been doing ok this past year since I've been staying home, but we realized we frittered away a lot of our savings just to make it every month. Not good! So, we asked Nathan's brother & his wife, Scott & Sheli, to help us create a budget we can work with. Scott & Sheli have been living within a budget for most of their 19 years of marriage, so we knew they would have some great advice for us. Did they ever! (We have the Excel spreadsheet to prove it!) Of course, living within a budget means much more eating at home and much less eating out (darn!), but having money left at the end of the month will be so worth it. Plus, setting aside money for vacations, insurance payments, etc. will be helpful too.

We took our first "budget" grocery shopping trip on Saturday. Armed with the Fry's ad and an envelope full of coupons, we hit it hard and pulled up to the check out line with a cart full of groceries. Are you ready for this? Drum roll, please... We spent $103 and saved $83. WOW! My greatest bargain? A tube of Aquafresh toothpaste. How much? FREE!

So now I am a full-fledged coupon clipping, bargain shopping, budget living, stay-at-home wife & mommy. Life is good!

1 comment:

The Coffey Grounds said...

Hi Jill,
I'm not surprised you didn't ask me to help you make a bud-get. I dislike that word and never have been able to spell it. Budge, fudge,oh well you get the picture I never could do it so I went shopping instead! I am so proud of you. I can remember when we were first married there was always more month left than money! Keep up the good work. I'm proud of you for cooking! YOU GO GIRL!