Monday, October 15, 2007

"Eight" is not so "Super"

...Used to be a fan of the Super 8 motel chain. Now, not so much. We stayed there the final night of our three-week road trip. Room 108 at the Super 8 at exit 11 in El Paso, TX.

We accidentally left our camera in the room and didn't realize it until we were an hour from Tucson. We called the motel as soon as we realized we didn't have the camera and they assured us they found it in our room. We were thrilled! (I had taken approximately 300 photos during the trip and didn't want to lose them!)

We assumed they would mail it to us, but quickly found out that they weren't willing to do that and our only option was to schedule a pick up with UPS or Fed Ex. We learned that UPS & Fed Ex require that the item to be picked up be boxed and ready. Another call to the motel to have them tell us, "Well, we can find a box around here to put it in, but we don't have any of that packing tape they use." Oh.My.Word!

What's a camera-less girl to do? Get in the car (the same day we returned from a 4,500 mile road trip, mind you) and make a 316 mile drive back to El Paso (that's 316 miles ONE WAY). For the love! On the drive there I called the motel again to see if speaking with someone new might result in a different outcome. Once again we were told that they were unwilling to mail it to us. I asked him, "Do you realize we are driving from Tucson, Arizona to pick it up? Is there anyway you could PLEASE mail it to us?" They were unwilling, so off we went!

Today I called the Super 8 Corporation to kindly tell them my story. Many times customer service reps are so helpful. I didn't happen to speak with one of those. Unfortunately, it was pretty much a dead end conversation.

The moral of the story? Never again will we spend our money with the Super 8 motel chain. Don't get me wrong. We realize we were the ones who made the mistake in the first place by leaving our camera there (and are so thankful sticky fingers didn't walk off with it!). But we were surprised that they were completely unwilling to accomodate us by mailing it to us. (And of course we were going to pay for everything!)

Ok, that's my rant. Soon I will post brilliant pictures from our wonderful road trip!

3 comments:

The Coffey Grounds said...

Are you serious? I cant believe know one would go spend a few bucks on some tape. Could you have mailed them a box for your camera with some tape in it? Of course I would have done about anything not to drive back. I don't like car rides that are more than a few hours. I would call the Chamber of Commerce in that wonderful town of El Paso Tx. and tell them the situation. Is this MOTEL a AAA! If so, report this to them. Just some thoughts.

The Coffey Grounds said...

Oops I spelled no one wrong! Sorry

AZDonna said...

How about a New Year's resolution to blog more often, Jill? I miss reading your posts.

Happy 2008!